Thursday, September 6, 2007

Day One, Greek

I had my first class today. This semester I will be taking both Latin and Greek. Greek is new to me.

Let's just say, I'm glad I had a grip on the alphabet before I showed up to class (thank you professor #5). That made me feel far more relaxed. While it was nice that I felt relaxed, it wasn't so nice that I felt old. It skipped my mind that in going back to school I'd also be in contact with the questionable-hygiene-far-too-young student body. That said, I'm sure my fellow classmates will have time to shower before the lunch-hour class. I hope.

As is the case with most Classics courses, our classroom was in a science building far from anything we know and love (the Arts buildings). This particular class will be held in the basement of a hallway that connects two buildings. No distracting windows with their natural sunlight here! No sir-ee. Poor professor #2 prepared a makeshift desk out of an overhead projector stand.

Classroom ambiance aside, the first class was as expected: intro, expectations, alphabet basics and so on. I must say, I'm pleasantly pleased by the marking breakdown - makes me feel like I have a fighting chance, you know, when I don't see a lot of 60%'s in any one category. Professor #2 and I had a quick chat after class. He remembers me - I told him not to remember too hard, I'd rather he not recall our first encounter. He was encouraging all the same, which was very sweet of him.

The text book was at my favourite book store - they had a fire this summer, I was worried they wouldn't be operating anymore. But they were. The smell was alarming (think beautiful musty book smell with notes of burnt wood and fresh paint). Thankfully this book is intended for three courses...what a monster in size!

That said, we have been assigned readings and drills to prepare for tomorrow on the alphabet and pronunciation. I also have my first Latin class tomorrow. Fridays, it turns out, will be my busiest day with not one, but two! two whole classes! Now I feel like having a fudgsicle....

No comments: