Friday, September 7, 2007

Homework, episode 1

Alright, so after our first Greek class we were given homework that we'd be discussing in class. Knowing professor #2 and the law that stipulates you will always be asked to answer the question you don't have an answer to, I did hours of Greek last night. I'm talking hours. I was so paranoid that I'd make a bad showing in our first in-class drills that I did all of part 1. I began to fret that we'd do part 2 and 3 in class as well, but I was zonked, I had to sleep. More on this in the next entry.

I'm glad that I don't share an apartment or house with other people. Just James. James knows me well and ignores my quirks. This proved handy while doing my homework - I talked to myself the whole night. I'm trying to get to the point very early on where I can look at words and read out the Greek letters as quickly as I can our alphabet (I wish I could slip in a clever joke about alpha beta, but I've only had one week, give me a break). So all night it was omega, kappa, epsilon, alpha, etc. Isn't muttering to yourself a sign of genius? Anyway...

My study area needs some improvements. I'll work away on them this weekend. First of all, bad all purpose lighting has prompted me to use the overhead light, a stand up lamp and a spot lamp. Oh, and I was burning an aromatherapy candle in hopes of making positive connections between language study a pleasant mood. All this lightbulb burning, despite using compact fluorescent in the lamps, made the room hot. Options for the overhead light are being explored. The desk chair is a bad size. Now I'm carting my office desk chair into my study to work. Tedious, but I'm not dropping cash on another chair, that's just wasteful. The issue of time has also popped up - I have no idea what time it is when I'm in the study, away from the computer's clock. Granted, it might be nice not to know the time while studying. I suppose related, but not related to my study is my bag for going to and from school. I still don't have a clear front-runner in this area. I don't like backpacks, but I may have to break down - Fridays are heavy book days and if I add some gym gear too, well, that's just begging for sore muscles on my left side. Suggestions regarding uberhip and stylish yet practical bags welcome.

The one thing I've noticed is that I really, really enjoy doing homework on my new whiteboard. I'm so visual when I learn that it makes my life a helluva lot easier to be able to put everything up, deconstruct and make oodles of mistakes that wipe away. I think my love of the whiteboard is the reason I already adore Greek. Here's hoping I continue to adore Greek and that I feel as warmly toward Latin when I use the whiteboard.

Nothing further to report it would seem, unless you care about what I'm learning. So far just the alphabet, how to write the characters, accents, breathings, pronunciation etc.

Here's me and my beloved whiteboard:

1 comment:

Steven Luscher said...

Those wall-boxes are (still) rad.