Thursday, December 6, 2007

Studying is always hard to do.

I will never study in a coffee shop ever again. Pure hell.

I hit a slump in my motivation and studying drive and was pondering this when Kate called. Kate is, in my mind, the model of academic drive and success. I find her focus and determination so intimidating - I wish I had half the goal-oriented mentality that she possesses. I was actually considering calling her to ask how she maintains her motivation when she called here. I felt so silly asking her that I brushed it aside, but as soon as I heard she was in a library, it lit a fire under me. That was totally awesome and much needed.

Since I didn't feel up to a library trip I ventured to the Starbucks with my books and notes and took up at a bar stool. In retrospect, having my iPod would have made a difference. It would have helped me drown out the other patrons and their drivelling conversations. One guy was the embodiment of tactless. And then, of course, the requisite creepy guy managed to snag the seat beside me. G-reat.

Now, I'm not saying that these things aren't going to happen at the library (creepy guy, possible conversations), but at least I can have my own little cubicle and zone out. I should have stuck with the library idea, and will do so in the future.

I'm systematically taking the Greek vocabulary apart to make managing it a bit easier. Here's hoping this works out for me. I'm going to make conjugation posters for rooms in the house that I visit when not studying.

3 comments:

Steven Luscher said...

lol!

I have goals too… *retirement*

katie said...

You have normal goals too - you just don't like to admit it. Tough guy.

Rossitress said...

I get restless so I tend to move around a lot. I'd rather be at home in my comfy pants most days but depending on the weather, my mood, and my focus, I may go to the library or a cafe (headphones are usually a must in any public space). I also listen to classical music. It keeps my brain really 'awake' somehow. Then, when I get restless again, I just take a break, move to a new location, shift focus to a different project, or listen to different music. Sometimes I just need to get the blood moving through my body - try having a mini dance party in your living room when no one else is home. :)